"Instead of "we almost” let the world say about us,” we did." – Don Ward……………… Doing the 'Hard' yards in search of 'The Perfect Pint' within the Emerald Isle and shores beyond – Definitely a Bog to bookmark if you have an adventurous spirit, that likes to travel whilst enjoying - the odd pint of Guinness,beer,or wine depending on the mood,the 'company',and the environment!

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Nuts with SouthWest


Without doubt my favorite local airline is SouthWest. A couple of years after arrival from downunder I ‘found’ them and have carried the SouthWest Rapid Rewards card since ’99. Simply they are a great airline and I love the fun way they so consistently indulge in “spreading the LUV”.

My 'Freedom of the Seas' trip had its start on a 7.15am SouthWest flight from Manchester Airport,NH. Travel Tip:An early on-line check in ensures a place in the 'A' queue and a choice of the best seats! My rather long legs appreciate being able to secure the 'exit' seat, which was duly found for them.

Needing a nap (3.00am wake-up) I hit the overhead button and asked the responding Flight Attendant for a pillow. Boy it was obvious that I was not the only one who had had an early start and didn’t really want to be on the plane. The look she gave me was one of being put out to do me a favor – I’m sure you have experienced the look :-)

Wow, was I mistakenly on NorthWest -I found myself looking out the window to check the plane’s color scheme –nope ok…then, dammn-it, my ‘friendly’ Flight Attendant compounded the sense of dislocation that I was starting to feel when she gave me only one of their famous packets of NUTs!

Yes she handed me over only one packet of NUTs – broke me record- in the past a smile + accent has always secured at least a couple of packets of NUTs. The day was not starting well. My mood was darkening – I had already lost my Swiss army knife coming through customs – being half asleep I had forgot to put it into my checked-in luggage..ugh!

Nuts aside, SouthWest are an exception amongst the lowest airfare airlines regarding food. Having missed breakfast I was pleased to get a box of ‘Travel Snacks’ – they were good and there was even a ‘Time Flies’ sweepstake to exercise ones mind on the packet. Ever hopeful I thought on landing perhaps another Flight Attendant or even the Captain may burst forth to ‘spread some LUV’ and cheer us up. It was not to be.

Stopover in Orlando Airport. 55 minutes before the next flight to Fort Lauderdale – great I thought, plenty of time to give my pipe some fresh air and lighten up the mood – I jumped on the shuttle and was too preoccupied on getting out the door to notice the length of the queue moving through security. It was almost very expensive smoko break – It took me 45 minutes to get back through security. Travel Tip: When taking a break between flights allow ample time to get back thru security.

I jumped off the shuttle and broke into a run – now my recent sessions at the gym paid off – I managed to just get through the doors as they were about to be closed. Finally found the last seat on the plane threw my luggage up top and , relieved, squeezed in to the sounds over the speaker of SouthWest ‘spreading the LUV’… I was home – this was the real SouthWest and promptly proceeded to drift off on my overdue nap dreaming about the green of Ireland.

Woke up hitting the tarmac of Fort Lauderdale Airport looking forward to my ‘Freedom of the Seas’ adventure and seeing if I could find an Irish connection on Board – even though – I’d missed me NUTS.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We’re starting on a journey to diary the establishment of a website with a focus on a ‘touch of Ireland’.

I hope that our website will eventually turn out to be something very special.

It would be great to have readers that land on my Blog offer comments and suggestions…hence the establishment of our “Ideas Box”. Zak is our CyberSleuth finding ideas for our Website!

Zak ‘my other alias’ was a very special dog of one of my sons – he was always on the sniff for new things so I do hope you will take time out to contribute to our intended Destination and help Zak do his resaerch about Ireland, what is Ireland known for, discuss the great outdoors Ireland, famous facts of Ireland, fun facts about Ireland, places to visit in Ireland, perhaps establish 10 facts about Ireland that we think are real special and find out about some real ‘insider’ Ireland facts.– thanks, john.

Zak's question for the Day..

What is your favorite airline when your destination is Ireland?

2:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home